Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Our Rock Project

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

I'm super excite about an idea I got after reading the novel The Truth About Mason Buttle, by Leslie Connor.  This book is a National Book Award Finalist; however, I do not recommend it for third-graders.  While I loved the story, the message and the theme--it is emotionally heavy.  Everyday I had to stop reading after awhile and take a break.  The story is about bullying, tragic death, police investigations, judgement, etc.  It is also filled with kindness, patience, compassion, and acceptance, but it is still to much for third graders, in my opinion.

In the story, the main character, Mason is not only bullied, he is unable to read or write.  So, he visits his special education teacher every day.  One day, Mason finds her painting inspirational words on rocks with glitter.  He does not question her project, but days later, when he is extremely upset, the teacher hands him the rock that says "Loyal."  She explains that he is a loyal friend, and she is giving him the rock to keep in his pocket as a reminder of his loyalty.

After I finished the book, I could not stop thinking about those rocks.  My incoming students know that rock-collecting is a passion of mine.  It has been since I've been 7 years old.  Last year, they would ask me to show them the different rocks I was carrying in my pockets. The lightbulb went on! I decided I, too, would paint leadership words and symbols on rocks.  Then, each week Anne and I will  look for a student who deserves one of the rocks.  The chosen student would need to display that trait all week or show it in a big way.  Then, on Friday we would award the rock to that person.  I cannot decide if the class should decide which trait to work on, or if we should just keep an eye out for someone displaying one of the traits and then reveal it and the recipient on Friday?  I'll let Anne decide.  She's our decision maker.

Here are the rocks I have painted so far.  I sprayed them with a clear gloss, but I think they look foggy.  I will try again, on new rocks, but only do one coat and see if they are clearer.



I cannot wait to use these rocks with the kids.  I'm thinking of reading the book Everybody Needs a Rock by Baird Byer.



Ok, I'm off to school to clean.  Have a great day.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment