Sunday, July 28, 2019

Does Anyone Read Blogs Anymore?

Sunday, July 8, 2019

It's been a minute since we've written a blog.  Does anyone read blogs anymore?  It seems like I've spent most of my time this past year scouring Instagram, Facebook, TpT, and Pinterest to get ideas for my classroom instruction.  Instagram is my favorite resource because it leads me to all the other social media.

Although, to be honest, I've missed writing on our blog.  I've missed sharing all of the exciting ideas I found and have used in my classroom.  I've missed sharing the lesson plans I have written for our Teachers Pay Teachers store, and I have missed sharing the latest literacy research I have learned from the courses I have taken.

Today, I am going to share the two best novels for intermediate students I read this summer.  I posted both to my Instagram account and Facebook account, but as I said I've been neglectful of our blog.  The first book I want to share with you is titled, Tree of Dreams by Laura Resau.




This book is hands down my favorite story of all time.  It is a beautiful, soul-touching story of friendship, perseverance, and courage.  It is filled with mystery, danger, magic, and eye-opening facts about nature.  Its messages not only tap at our hearts, they open our eyes to the ideas that we are all connected to each other, to the trees, the animals and the stars in the sky.  Nothing is separate. We are one and when working together in synchronicity, love, compassion and healing abound.  This book has the ability to inspire all of us to live with an awareness that can make our world a more benevolent place to live.   Watch the book trailer told by the author to get a bit more information.  I think I may even show this to my students.

 Orange For The Sunsets by Tina Athaide, is another powerful read. Orange for the Sunsets is a historical fiction story about two best friends living in Africa. These twelve-year olds still have the innocence to live their lives with an awareness that allows them to see beyond gender, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status. They can feel the goodness and the oneness that connects us all.  Unfortunately, the friendship between these young adolescents is shaken a bit by others who live in a state of unawareness and look at life through a filter of judgement, power, greed, and hatred.  This story beautifully shows the contrast through which human beings choose to live their lives. So many messages in this text speak to our hearts and help us become more awakened to how we want to live our lives and treat others.  Here is the trailer.  


Before reading these two novels, my favorite read aloud was Save Me A Seat by Sarah Weeks.  It has such a powerful message and weaves in a bit of culture along the way. I'm sure most of you know this book.  It has been out for a few years.  I will definitely be reading this book aloud this year, too.


I think I will do some sort of book review of each of the three books.  Maybe a very abbreviated version of a book tasting and then allow my students to vote for the one they want read aloud first.  All are excellent and promise a rich discussion among the students.

I will be back.  I am going to try to add short posts to the blog as often as possible.  I will also add ideas and TpT lessons to my Instagram account which I believe is lally.kim.  

Happy Reading!
Kim
PS: Anne is on vacation.  She will be back blogging with me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment